SuperScan from McAfee is a full-featured network scanner. it does not need to be installed and is initiated by simply launching an executable. Unlike Angry IP Scanner, SuperScan is only available for Windows. SuperScan is designed to test network hosts for open ports and running services.
SuperScan 4 is an update of the highly popular Windows port scanning tool, SuperScan.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 has removed raw sockets support which now limits SuperScan and many other network scanning tools. Some functionality can be restored by running the following at the Windows command prompt before starting SuperScan:
net stop SharedAccess
Here are some of the new features in this version.
- Superior scanning speed
- Support for unlimited IP ranges
- Improved host detection using multiple ICMP methods
- TCP SYN scanning
- UDP scanning (two methods)
- IP address import supporting ranges and CIDR formats
- Simple HTML report generation
- Source port scanning
- Fast hostname resolving
- Extensive banner grabbing
- Massive built-in port list description database
- IP and port scan order randomization
- A selection of useful tools (ping, traceroute, Whois etc)
- Extensive Windows host enumeration capability
Note that SuperScan 4 is intended for Windows 2000 and XP only. Administrator privileges are required to run the program. It will not run on Windows 95/98/ME. You may need to trySuperScan v3 if this will not work with your system.